Landmarks & Heritage of BHU
The Viswanath temple of the University is a massive temple complex consisting of seven temples. The Shiva temple is in the ground floor and the Lakshmi Narayan and the Durga temples are in the first floor. This elegant temple structure is located almost at the center of the University campus. The laying of the foundation stone of the temple took place in March, 1931 and it took almost three decades to complete its construction. Its sky penetrating spiraling top is 252 ft. high. The whole of Geeta and extracts from the sacred Hindu scriptures are inscribed with illustrations on the inner walls of the temple. Devotees, pilgrims and tourists from all over the world visit the temple throughout the year. Religious discourses are held periodically in the central hall of the temple. Viswanath temple is the spiritual center of the University.
The nucleus of Bharat Kala Bhavan evolved in January 1920. Its first Hony. Chairman (for life) was poet Rabindranath Tagore and its Hony. Vice-Chairman was poet’s nephew Silpacharya Abanindranth Tagore. But in reality the credit for the origin and subsequent development of this internationally famous museum goes to Padmavibhushan Late Rai Krishnadasa – a renowned writer in Hindi and a pioneer among the Indian art historians.
Mahamana's University, the Banaras Hindu University, is no ordinary seat of learning. It was planned with a vision in view. The University is enjoined with the national sentiment. Its contributions to the nation building process are immense. The nation rejoices at its rise towards excellence and sheds tears of sorrow at its failing. Its sonorous kulgeet, composed by Dr. Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar, portrays beautifully its serene setting, the quality of its community, its ethos, culture and composition.
Travelling down the memory lane, one gets a vivid glimpse of the Mahamana, a visionary and in the words of the Mahatma, "a prince amongst beggars who begged not for himself but a cause dear to him" toiling with self-less devotion to translate words into deed. One sees a chain of luminaries stewarding the University as its Vice-Chancellor. Intellectual giants inspiring the students with their idealism and abounding knowledge and inviting them to drink deep and develop character and horizon. Mahatma Gandhi has rightly emphasized Malaviyaji left an imperishable memorial of himself in the Kashi Vishwa Vidyalaya .... to put it on a stable foundation to secure its revolutionary growth, will surely be the most suitable memorial that can be erected by us to the memory of the great patriot". The entire nation has been and shall be in unison with the statement of Gandhiji. The Banaras Hindu University community, nay the nation, was appreciative of the decision taken by the National Government to include BHU as an integral part of national development, after the dawn of freedom, thus recognizing the national importance of the University and the Founder's commitment to this Institution which played and would continue to play a constructive role in the educational, economic and industrial reconstruction and development of the country.
The 19th century India produced intellectual giants in every field who contributed to various facets of renaissance viz. political, cultural, literary and educational. The Indian University Act 1904 permitting establishment of Universities through private funding was a challenge to the national genius of the country.