Welcome to Department of Botany
(Centre of Advanced Study,
DST-FIST Supported Department)
Brief writeup about the Department
Post-graduate teaching in Botany began at BHU in 1919 under the leadership of Professor Birbal Sahni, FRS. Later Professor Y. Bharadwaj (1933-1955), Prof. R. Misra (1955-1971) and Prof. R. N. Singh(1971-1976) successively chaired the Department and establish internationally Renowned schools of Algology and Ecology. Since its inception, the Department has maintained a very high profile in teaching and research in plant sciences in the country. It is gratifying to add that a D.SC. Degree in Botany was conferred on Dr. B. N. Singh was back in 1927. In recognition of its outstanding performance and achievements for over more than half a century, the Department was chosen by the UGC for Special Assistance (DSA) in 1972, as the Centre of Advanced Study (CAS) in Botany in 1980, and as a Centre of Excellence under COSIST programme in 1984.