|Sir Sunderlal Hospital|
GROWTH OF SS HOSPITAL
From time immemorial, Kashi (later known as Varanasi) has been considered a great seat of learning. It is significant that the Art and Science of healing was taught and practiced in this ancient city by Dhanvantri. His learned disciple Sushruta, the great Indian Surgeon and Father of Surgery, practiced his profession in this very city more than 2500 years ago. Earlier Physician Charaka also taught and practiced medicine in this great city.
The founder of the Banaras Hindu University, Matamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, established this great Centre of learning with a view to train young men and women of the backward and rural areas to serve out Nation.
Today, we in the medical profession are attempting to practice the ideals laid down by this great leader of India by utilizing what is best in Ancient Indian Medicine duly supplemented by Advances in Modern Medicine by making Medical Services available to all.
In the initial stage, a department of Ayurveda was all that existed as a branch of Oriental Learning of the University. The foundation of the University Hospital was laid by the Maharaja of Banaras Sir Prabhu Narain Singh in January 1924. It was declared open in 1926 and was named Sir Sunder Lal Hospital in the memory of the first Vice Chancellor of the University. It provided accommodation and facilities for the treatment of 96 indoor patients, about 200 out door patients a day, and an average of two operations a month.
In June 1959, the services of Dr. K.N. Udupa were made available to this nuclear set up. By his indefatigable energy and untiring efforts, his humility, flexibility and practical approach to all problems, and his devotion, dedication and determination, this infant rudimentary unity has steadily developed to a College and later to an Institute with all the facilities and specialities of a large Medical Cener.
In the year 1960 it was decided by the Government to establish a full fledged Medical College in the Banaras Hindu University to provide instructions in Modern Medicine at the undergraduate level. This was approved by the University Grants Commission and the Medical College started functioning from September 1960. Simultaneously the courses of Instruction in Ayurveda at the Undergraduate level were discontinued and the Post-graduate Course in Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.M.) was introduced. Five departments viz, Shalya Shalakya (Surgery), Kaya Chikitsa (Medicine), Prasuti Tantra (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Dravya Guna (Pharmacology) and Basic Principles were started in 1963.
In year 1971 the President of India in the capacity of the Visitor of this University was pleased to upgrade the Medical College to that of a Institute of Medical Science and in the following year the activities of the Institute with its National recognition were considerably enhanced and diversified in the fields of Medical, Education Research and Medical Relief. The first Principal of the Medical College Dr. K.N. Udupa took charge of the Institute as its Director. The rapid an phenomenal progress made by the Institute and Hospital in a span of 15 years was entirely due to the untiring efforts of its Director Professor K.N. Udupa. In 1967 the College moved into its spacious multistoried buildings extending in Four Blocks-which now accommodates all the departments of the Institute, different laboratories, lecture rooms, museums and libraries.
It is essential for Medical Education and Research to
be undertaken in a Hospital Setting. The Wards are the greatest Laboratories;
the patient provide the best material for practical teaching and need
based Clinical Research. Dr. Udupa in all his wisdom ensured that the
Teaching, Research and Hospital facilities developed simultaneously to
provide the maximum utility.
Subsequently, space expansion of some of the buildings
was made as per requirement. A separate double storied Pediatric Surgery
building was inaugurated in 1999; subsequently operation theatre in 2001
and extended for third story in 2006. Many technologically advanced equipment
were added to the hospital through GUCCI in 1993-94 and further by utilizing
own hospital generated fund, UDC plan and non-plan budget as well as from
Medical Entrance Test (MET) fund.