DEPARTMENT OF ORTHOPEDICS

Brief Introduction

Orthopaedic services in eastern UP were first started in 1959, when Dr. T.P. Srivastava joined the Sir Sunderlal Hospital at Banaras Hindu University as lecturer. He was promoted as Reader in 1963. Dr. B.P. Verma joined as Lecturer in 1964, and in 1965 Dr. S.M. Tuli joined as professor of Orthopaedics and this troika formed the nucleus of Orthopaedic services for next 12 years taking it to the great heights for which it is famous.
First batch of MS Orthopaedics joined in 1968 and passed in 1970. The MS(Ortho) degree was recognized by MCI same year. In 1971 the Department of Orthopaedics, was recognised. The department has good infrastructure in form of modern operation theatre, 60 bedded ward and well equipped rehabilitation services . Dr. T.P. Srivastava was elevated as professor in 1971. In 1977 Late Dr. B.P. Verma left the department to join as Professor Head of the Department of Orthopaedics at S.K. Medical College Muzaffarpur. Prof. U.S. Mishra ex Professor & Head of the Orthopaedics, KG Medical College, Lucknow, Prof. Y. Mohindra ex Professor of Orthopaedics, LLRM Medical College, Meerut and Prof. V.P. Lakhanpal ex Professor & Head of the Department of Orthopaedics, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla have also worked in the Department for some time. Dr. S.V. Sharma joined in 1977, however the department was deprived of his services by cruel hands of destiny on 30th June 1994. Dr. S.C. Goel was appointed as Lecturer in 1979, Dr. S.K. Saraf joined as lecturer in 1986 .Both were promoted subsequently as Reader and Professor. Dr. G.N. Khare joined (1992). Dr. A.K. Rai(2004), Dr. Amit Rastogi ( 2004), Dr. Sandeep Kumar ( 2007) and Dr. Saurabh Singh(2007) were other faculty members joining the department subsequently.