Department of Microbiology
- Around 50,000 investigations per
year are carried out. These include investigations related to bacteriological,
viral, fungal, parasitological and mycobacterial infections.
- Voluntary Counselling and Testing Centre (VCTC) earlier
named as AIDS Surveillance Centre is functioning in the Department since
1986. This centre is also associated with the PPTCT and ART Centre for
- The Department participates regularly in External Quality
Assurance Programmes organized by different central bodies.
- HIV Testing of blood samples, PCR based detection of
infectious agents and CD4/CD8 cell count testing are also being carried
out in the Department.
Teaching & Training:
- Till date 56 MD (Microbiology) and
43 Ph.D degrees have been awarded by the Department
- The Department is also actively involved
in the training of Post graduate students of other medical disciplines
in carrying out their research activities
- The Department was the WHO-GOI Regional
Training Centre for district level technicians
- The Department completed 30 national
and 3 international projects where as 2 national projects are going
- Establishment of PCR laboratory in 2001 has opened avenues
for research on Molecular Biological aspects of infectious disease.
Total Number of Publications :
- International : 150
- National : 350
- Books : 02
- Chapters : 18
Conferences / Symposia / Workshop organized
- Conference : 06
- Workshop / Training Programme : 17
Symposia / CME : 08
Awards and Recognitions:
- INSA, FNA, FAMS, FRCP, Fellow of Royal School
of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, MNAMS, Member New York Academy of
Sciences, Commonwealth Fellowship, Ranbaxy Research Award, Marfatia
- Peer reviewers in IJMR, UJMM, IJPM,
JRDAS, IJV,JDDR, JIDC, EID etc.
- President/Vice President/ Gen.
Secretary/ EC Member of AMI, IMA ( BHU Br. ), IST, IAMM, IAMM ( UP Chapter
- Molecular Diagnosis and Epidemiology
- Immunodiagnosis of Infectious Diseases.
- Hospital infection surveillance
- Antibiotic resistance monitoring.
- Diagnosis of opportunistic microbial infections.
- Establishment of Central cell culture facility.