DEPARTMENT OF SWASTHAVRITTA AND YOGA
Preventive & Social Medicine and Yoga
Yoga is a path of right living which balances,
harmonizes or disciplines every aspect of life; physical, mental, social
Yoga acts on three planes-
1. All-round development of individual with right attitude towards life.
2. Maintenance of positive health.
3. Prevents and cures various disorders of body and mind by biochemical,
physiological, mental and spiritual modifications.
There are eight stages (steps) of Yoga according to sage Patanjali viz.
Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhyana and Samadhi.
Benefits of Yoga
Yama and Niyama-
Moral development of individual and society
Asana (Physical development)-
- Increase the flexibility of body.
- Maintain the physical fitness of the body.
- Strengthen the internal organs by massaging and stretching
- Prevent and cure the diseases especially obesity, diabetes mellitus,
hypertension, indigestion etc.
Pranayama (Physical and mental development)-
- Induce the tranquility and concentration of mind.
- Balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic activities of the body.
- Increase the vital capacity of lungs.
- Clean the respiratory and other channels of body.
- Prevent and cure the diseases especially bronchial asthma, hypertension,
anxiety, insomnia, obesity, diabetes mellitus, ischemic heart disease
Pratyahara (Sensorial development)\
- Aspirant attains the patience by controlling his senses.
Dharana, Dhyana and Samadhi (Spiritual
- Prevention of mental and psychosomatic disorders.
- By gradual practice aspirant attains the spiritual power.