Orthopaedic services in eastern UP were first started in
1959, when Dr. T.P. Srivastava joined the Sir Sunderlal Hospital at Banaras
Hindu University as lecturer. He was promoted as Reader in 1963. Dr. B.P.
Verma joined as Lecturer in 1964, and in 1965 Dr. S.M. Tuli joined as
professor of Orthopaedics and this troika formed the nucleus of Orthopaedic
services for next 12 years taking it to the great heights for which it
First batch of MS Orthopaedics joined in 1968 and passed in 1970. The
MS(Ortho) degree was recognized by MCI same year. In 1971 the Department
of Orthopaedics, was recognised. The department has good infrastructure
in form of modern operation theatre, 60 bedded ward and well equipped
rehabilitation services . Dr. T.P. Srivastava was elevated as professor
in 1971. In 1977 Late Dr. B.P. Verma left the department to join as Professor
Head of the Department of Orthopaedics at S.K. Medical College Muzaffarpur.
Prof. U.S. Mishra ex Professor & Head of the Orthopaedics, KG Medical
College, Lucknow, Prof. Y. Mohindra ex Professor of Orthopaedics, LLRM
Medical College, Meerut and Prof. V.P. Lakhanpal ex Professor & Head
of the Department of Orthopaedics, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla
have also worked in the Department for some time. Dr. S.V. Sharma joined
in 1977, however the department was deprived of his services by cruel
hands of destiny on 30th June 1994. Dr. S.C. Goel was appointed as Lecturer
in 1979, Dr. S.K. Saraf joined as lecturer in 1986 .Both were promoted
subsequently as Reader and Professor. Dr. G.N. Khare joined (1992). Dr.
A.K. Rai(2004), Dr. Amit Rastogi ( 2004), Dr. Sandeep Kumar ( 2007) and
Dr. Saurabh Singh(2007) were other faculty members joining the department