|Dr. S.M. Singh
Professor & Coordinator
Ph D (BHU)
Tel: (O); 0542-2368364
| Academic Qualifications:|
|1.||High School ||U.P. Board of Education||1976|
|2.||Intermediate||U.P. Board of Education||1978|
|3.||B.Sc.||Banaras Hindu University||1982|
|4.||M.Sc.||Banaras Hindu University||1985|
|5.||Ph. D.||Banaras Hindu University||1988|
| Brief writeup on area of specialization/awards/achievements:|
Our current research focuses on two main areas of research
Screening of drugs for antitumor activity.
Targeting Tumor microenvironment for therapy.
Tumor-associated immunosuppression: host-tumor interaction.
Tumor immunotherapy (cell therapy; immunomodulation)
Gender, stage and behavior dependent variation in Tumor growth.
Neuroendocrine regulation of tumor growth.
Immuno-senescence and cancer.
- 1990 Indian National Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists (INSA Young Scientists Medal)
- 1990 Prof. L.S.S. Kumar Memorial Award, INSA, New Delhi
- 1982 Banaras Hindu University Prize For securing First position in order of merit in Zoology Honours in B.Sc.Exam
- 1985 Banaras Hindu University Medal for securing First position in the order of merit in M.Sc. Examination
- 1985 Ramakrishna Memorial Reddy Award for securing highest marks in Biochemistry in M.Sc.
- 2000 Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship
- 1988 Monbusho (Japanese Government Fellowship)
- 1999 Fiscal Research Fellowship (Japanese Government Fellowship)
- Member: Editorial Board.
- BHU journal of Science (BHU Press)
- Oriental pharmacy and experimental medicine (KHU Press)
- Lymphoma (Handawi-Sage Publication)
- Indian Cell Biology Association
- Indian Cancer Society
| Research Projects:|
- 'Targeting of the Bioactive Molecule Hapalindole –T isolated from cyanobacterium Fischerella sp.' sanctioned by Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi (23 Lakhs)
- 'Mission Mode project on hydrogen production through biological routes' by Ministry of Non Renewable Energy, New Delhi (33 Lakhs).
| Any additional information:|
List of Select Publications:
Chapters contributed to books:
- Verma VK, Singh V, Singh MP, Singh SM. Treadmill exercise-dependent tumor growth retardation in T-cell lymphoma-bearing host displays gender dimorphism. Oncol Res. 2010;18(7):293-304. PubMed PMID: 20377130.
- Singh V, Singh SM. Progressive tumor growth-associated altered tumor microenvironment: implications in a tumor stage-dependent modulation in survival of a murine T cell lymphoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2009 Aug;135(8):1015-24.Epub 2009 Jan 6. PubMed PMID: 19125295.
- Singh V, Singh SM. A tumour stage-dependent evolution of drug resistant T cell lymphoma: role of soluble mediators of tumour and host origin. Leuk Res. 2009 May;33(5):700-9. Epub 2008 Oct 18. PubMed PMID: 18930317.
- Gupta V, Singh SM. Gender dimorphism of macrophage response to GMCSF and IL-4 for differentiation into dendritic cells. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2008 Jul;60(1):43-54. PubMed PMID: 18593437.
- Shrivastav Anuraag; Varma Shailly; Lawman Zoe; Yang Shao H; Ritchie Shawn A; Bonham Keith; Singh Sukh M; Saxena Anurag; Sharma Rajendra K. Requirement of N-myristoyltransferase 1 in the development of monocytic lineage. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md.: 1950) 2008;180(2):1019-28.
- Singh MP, Sharma H, Singh SM. Prolactin promotes growth of a spontaneous T cell lymphoma: role of tumor and host derived cytokines. Cancer Invest. 2006 Oct;24(6):601-10. PubMed PMID: 16982465.
- Shrivastava, P., Singh, S.M., Singh, N. (2004). Activation of tumor associated macrophages by thymosin a1. Int. J. Immunopathol. Pharmacol. 17, 39-48.
- Bharti AC, Singh SM. Inhibition of macrophage nitric oxide production by gangliosides derived from a spontaneous T cell lymphoma: the involved mechanisms. Nitric Oxide. 2003 Feb;8(1):75-82. PubMed PMID: 12586545.
- Bharti A C; Singh S M. Induction of apoptosis in bone marrow cells by gangliosides produced by a T cell lymphoma. Immunology letters 2000;72(1):39-48.
- Parajuli P; Nishioka Y; Nishimura N; Singh S M; Hanibuchi M; Nokihara H; Yanagawa H; Sone S. Cytolysis of human dendritic cells by autologous lymphokine-activated killer cells: participation of both T cells and NK cells in the killing. Journal of leukocyte biology 1999;65(6):764-70.
- Singh SM, Singh N, Singh V. Immunomodulatory and antitumor actions of Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi). Natural Products Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pharmacology. Brahmachari G, (Ed). Narosa Publishing House, India. 2009 pp 114-136.
- Gupta V, Singh SM. Role of hormonal and cytokine environment of tumor-bearing host in manifestation of gender dimorphism of tumor growth. Treatment of advanced stage cancers. Talwar GP, Sood OP (Eds). Narosa Publishing House, India. 2009 pp 191-208.
- Vishvakarma NK, Shrivastava P, Singh SM.Thymic Peptides : Hormones with Biological Response Modifying Potential and Multi-Utility Therapeutic Applications in Life Threatening Pathologies. Editors: Singh MP, Agrawal A, Sharma B (Eds). 2009. 13TH Chapter.