The Department of Mathematics was founded in 1898 as a part of the Central Hindu College at Kamachha much before the establishment of the Banaras Hindu University in 1916. Subsequently in 1917, Department of Mathematics along with the Central Hindu College was transferred to the Banaras Hindu University. The Department had the privilege of having had eminent scholars like Prof. V.V.Narlikar, Prof.Ganesh Prasad, Prof.R.Vaidyanath Swamy and Prof.R.S.Mishra on its faculty. The teachers of the Department have been receiving national and international recognition and financial support for their high quality research. The Department has made notable research contributions in the areas of Functional Analysis, Geometry, Relativity, Mathematical Programming, Topology, Fluid Mechanics and Fuzzy Mathematics. Two Research journals "Progress of Mathematics" and "Proceeding of the Mathematical Society,BHU" are regularly published.
Conference/ Seminar/ Symposium/ Workshop
Training & Schools Programme