The department has many firsts to its credit –
- First to introduce ENT as a separate subject in MBBS curriculum.
- First to understand the importance of microsurgery in ENT practice (first in the state to acquire an operating microscope).
- First in India to have a post of Professor of Otology so that proper training of microsurgery of ear could be imparted to PG students.
- First in state to organize National Conference of Association of Otolaryngologists of India (1970).
- First in state to have international collaborations.
- First to be recognized by G.M.C. of UK for MBBS training in ENT.