|Area of Specialisation: |
Geography Education, History of Geography, Social and Political Geography and South Asia
Project/s undertaken as PI/ Co-PI :
Principal Investigator of the project titled "Status of Geography in School Boards of India: A Comparative Study" Sponsored by UGC, New Delhi
Award/ recognitions :
Awarded Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarship (2001-2002) by Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund for Ph.D. fieldwork in Bangladesh.
List of selected/ major publications (not more than 10; in perfect/full citation format)
Alam, Sarfaraz 2010. Geography Education in Teaching and Research in India. Geographical Review of India (GSI Kolkata; ISSN: 0375-6386), 72 (3): pp. 246-254.
- Singh, A.K. and Alam, Sarfaraz 2011. Geography as a discipline in India: A students' perspectives. Annals of the National Association of Geographers, India (NAGI, New Delhi; ISSN: 0970-972X), 31 (2): 40-55.
- Alam, Sarfaraz 2010. Recent Trends in School Geography in India, Journal of Geography (NCGE, USA, pub. by Routledge, London, UK; ISSN: 0022-1341), 109 (6): 243-250.
- Alam, Sarfaraz 2003. Environmentally induced migration from Bangladesh to India: the ground realities. Strategic Analysis (Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi, pub. by Routledge, London, UK; ISSN: 0970-0161), 28 (3): pp. 422-438.
- Alam, Sarfaraz and Horo, Albert 2010. Disaster Risk Reduction through Geography Education in India. The Pakistan Journal of Geography (Institute of Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, University of Peshawar, Pakistan; ISSN: 1023-5108), 20 (1-2): 19-33
- Alam, Sarfaraz 2008. Environmental Study as an Independent Subject in Indian Schools?. The Geography Teacher (NCGE, USA, pub. by the Routledge, London, UK; ISSN: 1933-8341), 5 (1), 26-28.
- Alam, Sarfaraz 2009. Geopolitical Discourse and Environmental Security: Contextualising National Security of Bangladesh, The National Geographical Journal of India (NGSI, Varanasi (ISSN: 0027-9374/2009/1-8), 55 (1): pp. 83-98.
- Yadava, R.S., Sharma, V.N. and Alam, Sarfaraz; 2007-2008. Socio-economic and Health Conditions of Milkmen of Varanasi City: Case studies of three Milk Mandies, The North Eastern Geographers (Gauhati University, Guwahati, Assam; ISSN: 0973-0915), 35 (1&2): 45-61.
- Alam, Sarfaraz 2009. The State of Geography in Indian Schools: Reflections and Actions; in, Singh, Ravi S. (ed.) Indian Geography in the Twenty First Century: The Young Geographers Agenda. Cambridge Scholars Publications, Newcastle upon Tyne: pp. 84-107. (ISBN: 9781-1-4438-1365-5).
- Alam, Sarfaraz 2013. Main Ideological Currents in Indian Geography; in, Qureshi, M.H. (ed.) Paradigm Shift in Geography. Manak Publications Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi: pp. 126-177. (ISBN 978-93-7831-325-7).
- National Geographical Society of India, Varanasi
- Geographical Society of India, Kolkata
- National Association of Geographers, India, New Delhi
- Institute of Indian Geographers, Pune
- Society of Earth Scientist, Lucknow