|VINAY KUMAR RAI|
Res.: N 6/47 B -15, Vrindavan Vihar Colony, Chitaipur,
P.O. - Sundarpur/ B.H.U., Varanasi, UP 221005
Mobile: 09451 892087. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|Area of Specialisation: |
Hydrology and water resources, physical geography, remote sensing.
Project/s undertaken as PI/ Co-PI :
Two projects completed sponsored by U. G. C.
Award/ recognitions :
(a) Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan offered the post of Professor, Geography (Integrated Science Course) in May 2009.
(b) Appreciation Certificate of Professor M.Murakami, Team Leader, Geographical Research Project 1991, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Science, Hiroshima University, Japan (1991) .
(c) Awarded U.G.C. Research Scientist 'B' (Reader) since Dec. 2000 to 21st Dec.2008.
(d) Awarded U.G.C. Research Scientist 'A' (Lecturer) since Dec. 1990 to Dec. 2000.
(e) U.G.C. Junior and Senior Research Fellowship - 1981 to 1984.
(f) BHU Research Fellowship - 1980 to1981
(g) Former Member of Executive Committee of National Association of Geographers, India (NAGI).
(h) Former Vice-President of Executive Committee of National Association of Geographers, India (NAGI).
(i) Member of DRC, Department of Geography, BHU during 2008-2009 and 17-09-2010 to till date and RDCU, BHU. (j) Member of academic council of Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan during 19-09-2009 to 16- 09-2010.
(k) Member of Board of Studies in Geography, Institute Board, Vidya Bhawan, Visva-Bharati during 19-09-2009 to 16-09-2010
(l) Member of course preparation committee for B. Sc. VI Semester -Paper No. GRB 604 Elementary Remote Sensing Practical and B. Sc. IV Semester-Paper No. GRB403 A- Basic of Remote Sensing (Ancillary Course Theory Paper) at Department of Geography B H U, Varanasi.
(m) Worked as Course Coordinator for B. A. Part -II Semester IV during academic session 2012 in the Department of Geography, B. H. U., Varanasi.
List of major publications (max. 10; in perfect/full citation):
1. Rai V. K. 1993. Water Resources Planning and Development. Deep and Deep Publications, New Delhi, XX + 232 pp. ISBN: 81-7100-536-5.
2. Singh, A. K., Rai, V. K. and Mishra, A. P. (eds.) 1997. Strategies in Development Planning (Professor M. Shafi Felicitation Volume), Deep and Deep Publications, New Delhi, XXVII + 528 pp. ISBN: 81-7100-905-0.
3. Rai V. K. 2000. Water Resources: Problem, Prospects and Management. Ganga Kaveri Publishing House, Varanasi, XII + 199 pp, ISBN: 81-85694-32-X.
B. Research papers published/accepted for publication
1 .Mathur, R.N.,Jain A. K., Singh, K.S., Rai,V. K. and Pandey,I. P.1984. Development of Ground Water Resources and Its Implications in Planning : A Case Study in Eastern Uttar Pradesh. Environmental Appraisal and Rural Habitat Transformation in Developing Countries, ed. R.L. Singh and R.P.B. Singh, NGSI Pub. 32, 25th IGC Paris Vol. : pp. 60-67.
2. Rai, V. K. and Mishra, A. P. 1982.Kanak Sarai - Samajik - Arthik Pratiroopo Ka Bhaugolik Adhyayan. Bhoodarshan, Vol. 15, Nos. 4-6, 1982: pp. 17-24.
3. Mathur, R. N., Rai, V. K. and Pandey,I. P. 1983.Ground Water Resources in the Development of Irrigation in Saidpur Tehsil (Ghazipur District, U.P.) Geographical Review of India, Vol. 45(1),: pp. 33-38.
4. Rai,V.K.and Mishra,A.P.1982-83. Gramya Jivan Ke Badalate Pratiroop, Karan, Tatva aur Sambhavanaye (Purvi Uttar Pradesh Ke Gramin Paccha Ka Adhyayan) Bhartiya Samaj Vigyan Samiksha, Vol. 14-15,: pp. 135-136.
5. Rai, V. K., Jain, B. B. and Pandey, B. 1984. Structure of Gangetic Alluvium in the Ganga-Kali Doab, District Buland Shahar. Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. XXXIV(1) : pp. 281-286.
6. Mathur, R. N., Rai, V. K. and Pandey, I. P. 1986. Assessment of Ground Water Resources in the Ganga-Ghaghara Doab : A Case Study of Rasra Block, Ballia District, U.P., India. Doab Geographer, Vol. 2, Nos. 1-2, June-Dec.: pp. 18-22.
7. Rai, V. K. 1991.Hydrogeomorphological Study of the Sitla Rao and Chor Khala Basins (Western Doon Valley) by Remote Sensng Techniques. Applied Geomorphology in the Tropics (Essays in Honour of Prof. N.K.P. Sinha), ed. Dr. P.R. Sharma, Rishi Publication, Varanasi: pp. 140-150.
8. Rai, V. K. 1993. Identification of Alluvial Aquifers in Ballia District, U.P., National Geographer, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 2: pp. 127-133.
9. Rai, V. K. and Mishra, A. P. 1994. Role of Irrigation in Poverty Eradication: Scope and Limitations. Poverty, Inequality and Development, ed. D.N. Singh and T.D. Singh, environment and Development Centre, Varanasi: pp. 84-96.
10. Rai, V. K. 1997.Assessment of Ground Water Resources and its Management: A Case Study of Ganga-Ghaghara Doab East, Strategies in Development Planning (Prof. M. Shafi Felicitation Volume) Ed. A.K. Singh, V.K. Rai and A.P. Mishra, Deep and Deep Publication, New Delhi: pp. 228-264.
11. Rai, V. K. 2000. Flood and Water logging Problems: A Case Study of Mau District, Uttar Pradesh, National Geographer, Vol. 35, No. 1&2: pp. 65-81.
12. Rai, V. K. 2001. Irrigational Water Use and Requirements: A Case Study. Environment, Population and Development, ed. P. Nag, C.S. Kumar and S. Sengupta. Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi: pp. 170-188.
13. Rai, V. K. and Singh B. K. 2001. Development of Irrigation and its Impact on Agriculture in Raebareli District: A Geographical Study ,Land Resources, Technology and Poverty: Dimension and Policy Implications, ed. R.B. Singh, Tara Book Agency, Varanasi: pp. 123-141.
14. Rai, V. K. and Singh B. K. 2002. Assessment of Ground Water Quality for Sustainable Agricultural Development in Raebareli, National Geographical Journal of India, Vol. 48, Parts 1-4, March-December: pp. 131-140.
15. Rai, V. K., Singh, B. K. and Juyal, R. 2003. Ground Water Resources and Its Management in the Sharda Sahayak Command Area : A Case Study published in Water Crisis and Sustainable Management ed. Singh D.N., Singh J. and Raju K.N.P., Tara Book Agency, Varanasi : pp. 273-287.
16. Rai, V. K. 2004. Suitability of Surface and Ground Water for Irrigation: A Case Study. National Geographical Journal of India. Vol. 50, Part 1-2, March-June: pp. 83-94.
17. Rai, V. K. 2006. Problems Associated with Water and its Use: A Case Study of Ganga-Ghaghara Doab East. The Eastern Geographer. Vol. XI & XII, N. 1 & 2: pp. 24-34.
18. Rai, V. K. 2006. Ground Water Resource Development in India : Problems and Prospects, National Geographical Journal of India, Vol. 52, Part 3-4, Sept. - Dec., pp. 145-154.
19. Singh, A. K. and Rai, V. K. 2007. Mirzapur Zanpad Mein Sichai Ka Krishi Vikas Par Prabhav : Ek Bhaugolik Adhyayan ,Uttar Bharat Bhoogol Patrika, Vol. 37, 1-2, December, pp. 1-10.
20. Rai, V. K. and Sinha, T. K. 2008. Investigations for pollution of Saline Affected Soils (Usar) by Remote Sensing ,The Eastern Geographer, Vol. XIV, No. 1 & 2, 2008.
21. Rai, V. K. 2008. Ground Water Quality Assessment for Irrigation in Varanasi and Its Environs, Annals of the NAGI, Volume XXVIII, No. 1, June, pp.73-82.
22. Rai, V. K. and Singh, Neelu.2009. Development of Ground Water for Irrigation: A Case Study of Varanasi District, U.P , National Geographical Journal of India, Vol.55, Part-I, pp.59-72.
23. Rai, V.K. and Singh , A. K. 2009. Mirzapur Janpad (U. P.) mein Samanya Bhoomi Upayog Pratiroop: Ek Bhaugolik Adhyayan ,Uttar Bharat Bhoogol Patrika, Vol.39, No. 1 & 2, March - June, pp. 1-10.
24. Rai P. K. and Rai, V. K. 2009. Land use Mapping Using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques in a Part of Son Basin (With P. K. Rai), GIS Development, Nov., (on Line Journal).
25. Rai, V. K. and Singh, Neelu. 2010. Assessment of Ground water Recharge from Canal Seepage: A Case Study, Ramganga Geographers, Vol.12, No. 1, Jan 2010, pp.1-12.
26. Singh, A. K. and Rai, V. K. 2010. Mirzapur Zanpad (U.P.) Mein Janshankya Vridhi Evam Bhoo-Jaliya Paryavarain Par Usaka Prabhav: Ek Bhaugolik Adhyan Published in Uttar Pradesh Geographical Journal Vol. 15, pp. 91-106.
27. Rai, V. K., Mishra, A. P. and Singh, A. K. 2010. Environmental Impact Assessment Analysis of Ganga Expressway: A Study in Contemporary Development Studies Published in Indian Journal of Regional Science Vol. XXXXII, N. 2, pp. 29-39.
28. Singh, A. K. and Rai V. K. 2010. Mirzapur Zanpad Mein Bhoo-Jalstar Ki Visheshatayen: Ek Bhaugolik Adhyayan Published in Research Journal, Rasthriya Bhaugolik Patrika Vol. I, N.1&2, pp. 97-108.
29. Singh, A. K. and Rai, V. K. 2010. Mirzapur Zanpad (U.P.) Mein Bhoo-Jal Upalabdhata evam Uska Krishigat Upyog: Samasya evam Samadhan published in Research Journal 'Magadh Geographical Review' Vol. X, N. 1, Dec. pp.302-320.
30. Kumar, R. and Rai, V. K. 2012. Jaunpur Janpad ( Uttar Pradesh) Mein Janshankhya Vridhi Praroop published in Rasthriya Bhaugolik PatrikaVol.3, , Part-2, JunDecember, pp.119-130.
31. Singh, Neelu and Rai, V. K. 2013. Assessment of Ground Water Recharge in an Alluvial Area published in Perspectives on Interdisciplinary Advances in Geography ed. P. R. Sharma, R.S. Yadav and V. N. Sharma, R. K. Books, New Delhi, PP: 229-245
32. Rai, V. K. and Singh Neelu.2013. Nature and Character of Alluvial Aquifers in Middle Ganga Plain: A Case Study of Varanasi District, U. P.published in National Geographical Journal of India, Vol.59 Pt.2, June, pp. 63-74.
33. Lal, S. and Rai, V. K. 2013. Varanasi Nagar mein Gharelu Jalapurti: Samsya evam Samadhan, Rasthriya Bhaugolik PatrikaVol.4, Part-1, June, pp.77-90.
34. Patel ,A. K. and Rai, V. K.2013. Ambedakar Nagar Janpad ( Uttar Pradesh) Mein Samanya Bhoomi Upayog Parivartan: Ek Bhaugolik Adhyayan, Rasthriya Bhaugolik Patrika, Vol. 4, Pt. 2 December:pp. 209-222.
35. Development of Irrigation in Third World: An Indian Perview. Accepted for publication in Paradigm of Development and Underdevelopment in Third World. ed. Dipak Malik, Centre for Study of Third World Societies, Varanasi.
36. Conjunctive Use of Ground Water and Surface Water for Better Water Resources Management - An Experience in Uttar Pradesh accepted for publication in Perspectives in Resource Management in Developing Countries. ed. Dr. B. Thakur, Concept Publication, New Delhi.
37. Impact of Intensification of Ground Water Irrigation on Hydrogeological Environment in Ganga-Ghaghara Doab East, accepted for publication in proceeding of International Seminar on Environment, Sustainable Development and Human Health. Ed. Prof. Onkar Singh, Department of Geography, B.H.U., Varanasi.
38. Development of Ground Water Irrigation and its Impact on Geo-hydrological Environment: A Case Study (With Santosh Kumar) accepted for publication in The Environment- Development Interface: Recent Studies and Emerging Issues, Ed. Ravi S. Singh, APH Publishing Corporation, New Delhi.
Additional information/ Achievements:
(i) Certificate in usage of personal Computer
(ii) Certificate in 'Yoga Practices for Better Living'
(iii) Membership of Professional Societies
(a) Life Member of National Association of Geographers of India, New Delhi
(b) Life Member of the Allahabad Geographical Society, Department of Geography, Allahabad University, Allahabad.
(c) Life Member of the Eastern Geographical Society, Bhubaneswar.
(iv) No. of Ph.D. Produced: Five (5)
No. of Ph.D. Under Supervision: Four (4)
(v) No. of Conferences/ Seminars/Symposia/Workshops attended : Total - 45, International - 14, National - 31
(vi) Number of P.G. Dissertation Supervised - 22
(vii) Worked as Professor (Integrated Science Course), Department of Geography, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan, West-Bengal for one year (19-09-2009 to 16-09-2010).
(vii) Worked as Chairman, Co-chairman and Rapporteur in different National and International Conferences.